Thursday, February 16, 2012

after a restless night; or red-rimmed random thoughts

red-rimmed eyes look back at me in the mirror

lying awake
and then getting up to do iTunes task on the computer
at 3 in the morning

back in bed
fitful dreams about larry’s book
with plasticized yellow cover
and the red-highlighted passage mocking martin
laughing in the school gym

lying on blue flannel and
finally getting up and putting on
lester young bopping way too fast for my red-rimmed ears
but reminding me of the spirit of living in joy
like my cat chasing a golf tee around the house
in bursts of sinew stiff energy

but now the jazz has slowed to a blues
walking along singing the red-rimmed world
and the cat is stretched out in utter relaxation as I
gaze at the painted rock that anchors the plant filled stand
cactus and aloe
blue stars and green leaves with sparkles
and a red-rimmed circle mirroring me
and my teary eyes

thinking of Syrian children executed in hospitals
whitney in a bathtub
four men trapped in burning trailer
famililess father
and a deadly fire in Honduran prison
kids car surfing
hanging on to the top of the van as it swerves across
winter road
body flying off
and the permanent red-rimmed eyes of the
parents

No comments:

Post a Comment